Blueberry, Basil and Goat Cheese Galette

Welcome to June's What's Baking!

The theme for this month was baking with fruit and I was stoked because I love anything pie or in the pie family when it comes to desserts. It is no secret that I am a big fan of making galettes and thought this was the perfect opportunity to show off one of my favorite pairings- fruit and cheese.  Last weekend at the Farmer's Market I picked up 2 quarts of blueberries and a small wedge of  4 month aged Beemster goat Gouda, and knew this would be a delectable combination of flavors and textures.  My final touch to the flavor combination was chopped fresh basil. My basil plants are so beautiful right now and were the perfect addition to this dish. If you have not attempted a galette to not be intimidated because they are wonderfully easy and look very impressive. A galette is basically a free formed pie and the flavor combinations are endless, and fun to play with! 

This was a dessert that I did not share with Kellen and Ron, but it was shared with my girlfriends last weekend over bloody mary's while my friend Tracy was getting ready to leave for L.A. My girls all enjoyed this dessert, and there was only a slice left when I headed home. I loved the sweet berries, creamy cheese and the fresh pop of flavor from the basil.....I wish I had a slice right now! I am sure Kellen and Ron would have loved this, but sometimes you need to share to love with your friends! However, I still have a little cheese left and will have lots of berries this weekend and perhaps another galette is in order...maybe peach this time??? 

Berry season is finally here and I can't wait to get picking/buying this weekend. Georgia peaches are also arriving in truck this week and I know my sweet Kellen will be over the moon. Gypsy Fruit contacted me regarding their upcoming haul from Georgia and Michigan and were kind enough to give me flyers and coupons for their pick-up sites this weekend! If you are in the area please send me a message on Facebook or via e-mail, and I can get the flyer to you to get a great price on delicious fruit! Thank you Gypsy Fruit for including me and my area readers!

I hope everyone has fun weekend plans- we are starting our Friday night with a fish fry and an Old Fashion! 


Ingredients

1 pie crust (I used a pre-made from our bakery that I keep in stock, but you could make our own)
2 1/4 cups blueberries
2 Tbl granulated sugar
1 Tbl cornstarch
1 Tbl chopped fresh basil
1 egg, beaten with 1 tsp water
2 tsp raw sugar, for sprinkling
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
Chopped basil, for garnish


Instructions

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. 

In a medium bowl, combine blueberries, sugar, basil and cornstarch. Set aside. 

Stretch (or roll if you made your own) your pie crust on lightly floured parchment paper.

Place berries in the center of the crust. Make sure to leave about 2 inches boarder around the outside to fold over. 

Fold the crust edges up and over the blueberries (I tucked as I circled the fruit). 

Transfer the parchment to a baking sheet. Brush dough with egg wash and sprinkle evenly with sugar.

Bake for 35-40 minutes.  Top the galette with crumbled goat cheese and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the fruit center is bubbly and the crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and top with chopped fresh basil. 

Labels: , , ,